Total Pageviews

Sunday 8 September 2013

Time well spent...

I have had a hobbit free weekend...and you know what that means?

It means I get to do all the things I can't do when they are around; like have wild affairs of the heart, smoke dope in my kitchen and walk around the house naked...

Alas, no one has inspired me enough for a weekend fling, I can't afford hallucinating drugs and the weather has changed so it is a tad chilly for walking around in my birthday suit...so I went out on a big motorbike instead...as you do.

It has been a while since I was last out on a motorbike, so inevitably it was a wobbly start. However I was there for the day and Dave, my wonderful flirty instructor took me out on a 125cc, to get me back into 'biker chick' mode.

I have a long way to go for true biker chick-ness...I would require full leathers, a smaller arse and a push up bra, however with regards to the actual ride, I am improving.

After some time on the 125, Dave deemed me worthy of the 500cc ERF so just before lunch I spent an hour or so on a 500cc. I still felt wobbly, even though everyone was telling me that I wouldn't. That being on a bigger bike would make a difference...at this conjecture I was beginning to think perhaps this was a dream I wouldn't realise.

I mean, let's be honest - sometimes we try things that just don't work - so just because I had this dream of owning, riding and loving a big sexy motorbike, perhaps I wasn't destined to?

At this point. the lovely Dave gave me a good talking to. "Being nervous and taking your time is not a bad thing, in fact it is more likely to make you be a better rider than some people who are overly confident and cocky."

Really?

So after we'd had a cup of tea and shared a lunch, we got back out there...on a 600cc.

I confess, I looked at it with trepidation. It sounded different, was heavier, (without a doubt sexier) and just getting my leg over (pardon the pun) felt like I was mounting a very big horse...I said horse.

Just a touch on the throttle and I could feel the difference. Testing the front break it responded quickly and forcefully...as I found much later...ouch!

Dave waited for me at the gate patiently, and I took a deep breathe and put it into first and pulled away....smoothly. Within a few minutes I was comfortable with the controls and the biting point of the clutch, and I was away.

It was fantastic. I felt so much more confident, the bike held the road smoother, I felt more stable and happy to push it that bit further. In fact he deliberately took me to a road where I could do that, and whilst many bikers will laugh at my feeble attempt I did hit 55 once...a figure I was rather chuffed about.

I wasn't going to take it anymore over that, as my confidence really didn't need to take a beating by coming off and the wind was up at this point I could really feel it as the speed increased.

However I spent the next couple of hours feeling that buzz, and feeling like I was actually improving all the time. At last, I can say that I am someone who can ride a bike.

So today S and I perved over some motorbikes on ebay, looking at the types of bike I might like to try, or consider buying in the future...time well spent eh?

I loved riding the bike, it was simply amazing - and as one friend mentioned, 'time to think about that test now'...

1 comment:

Biker said...

Brillant go for the test