Total Pageviews

Sunday 8 July 2012

Hobbit logic...

The hobbits went to to a fancy dress party today.
They absolutely love dressing up and have numerous alter egos to go change into and as they start getting ready to choose their outfits for the event, Superman calls down the stairs...

"Mum! Do I have to wear pants?"
"Yes," I call back up the stairs.
"Why?" He enquires, as if one needs a reason.
"Because all good superheroes wear pants, Superman wears his on the outside" I explain rather pleased with myself for my quick thinking.
"Ok." He accepts. However just a few minutes later...
"Mum, do I have to wear pants too?" calls Batman.
"Yes." I state again.
"But I'm going as a skeleton, and skeletons don't wear pants."

I stop washing up and reason that he has a valid point that
I can't argue with.

Consequently Batman is going to the fancy dress party commando as a skeleton.
Hobbit logic is triumphant.

It's highly unlikely that the fancy dress party is going to be a place that I find a love interest. I know all of the parents there and even Mr Pumpkin the children's entertainer has a Mrs Pumpkin.

Thankfully it's just a nice place to catch up with other parents who are as like minded as me in allowing the children to run off some steam.

It also turns out that Batman (aka The Skeleton) is not the only one who has chosen to go commando, as one other mum explains that her daughter informed her on the journey to the party that she had forgotten her knickers. After rushing back home the mother tries with admirable fashion to convince her daughter to put some underwear on also.

This gorgeous little girl has a beautiful dress on; nevertheless it is fairly short when she sits down and both of us look across to the group of children sitting on the floor, feeling quite concerned that Mr Pumpkin may get more than he has bargained for as he gets down among the tiny five year olds.

It is quite endearing watching the children with Mr Pumpkin - they say all the right things, make all the right noises and laugh when they're supposed to.
Hobbit logic is simplistic and honest.

I would rather have hobbit logic over some other adult conversations any day. There is nothing false behind it, no pretence, no dishonesty - it is what it is.
"Yes, you have a big bum".
"No, I don't like your hair."
"Eating carrots doesn't help me see in the dark, my eyes do that." and yes, "Skeletons don't wear underwear."

Conversations with adults can be so much harder; social awareness gets in the way, there are different rules for who you talk to; people can play mind games rather than just being honest and as adults we lie far more than hobbits do.

Perhaps this is why much of the time I prefer the company of hobbits.

They at least will always tell me when I look silly or remind me when it's appropriate to wear pants.

2 comments:

sammi-mckean said...

This must be why you like me, then ;)

Wonder(ing) Woman said...

One of the many reasons, yes x